Regions and Cities are important players in climate change. Their activities are increasingly acknowledged within the UN climate negotiations. Local emissions from mobility, heat and power production are crucial for the life quality of citizens. Silesia has developed strategies and passed legislation to improve the region’s air quality; North-Rhine Westphalia supports sustainable urban development and pilot projects for zero emissions inner cities. Hauts-de-France carries a transition roadmap inspired by Rifkin’s Third Industrial Revolution and called rev3 which one aim is to reduce CO2 emissions.
Based on examples, the event will discuss approaches of reducing CO2 emissions with representatives from cities, regions and research institutes. Furthermore, the issue of citizens not being able to pay their energy bill as an often underestimated problem across Europe, will be touched upon to in an excursus.
Mr. Adam Sierak, Mr. Piotr Myszor
- Anti-smog resolution and its implementation
Mrs. Blanka Romanowska, Government of Silesia
- Pilot projects for creating emission-free cities
Mr. Oliver Lah, Wuppertal Institute, NRW
- Helping cities and regions improve their air quality
Dr. Lucas BASTIEN, Atmo Hauts-de-France
- Activities and results concerning clear air, anti-smog actions, role of the municipal police, urban furnace exchange program, thermal refurbishment of buildings
Mr. Daniel Wolny, City of Katowice
- Problem of energy poverty in Poland
Mr. Jakub Sokolowski, Institute For Structural Research
- Mrs. Magdalena Bartecka (Polish Green Network)
- Mr. Frédéric Nihous, member of Regional Council, in charge of the building energy efficienty
Question and answer session with speakers
By invitation only; event is part of City of Katowice´s “Conference of Cities”.
UN accreditation is not required for this event.
10/12/2018, 2.00 p.m. - 3.30 p.m.
Academy of Fine Arts, Raciborska Street 50, Katowice
Herr Rainer van Loon
Beratung nationaler und internationaler Klimaschutz
Phone: 0211 86642287
Herr Krzysztof Tylla
Województwa Śląskiego (Silesian Voivodeship / Woiwodschaft Schlesien)
Phone: +48 32 774 00 74
You can contact the EnergyAgency.NRW additionally on weekdays between 8am and 6pm by calling our hotline on: +49 211 - 8371930